“Your vision will become clear only when you look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.”

~ Carl Jung

Monday, January 2, 2012

THRIVE


I subscribe to a number of art blogs.  I love seeing what other women are creating and reading about their processes.  Several of the bloggers suggested choosing a word for the new year.  The word that immediately popped into my head was THRIVE, but thrive is not one of “my” words.   I was tempted to think about this, to find just the right word for this year; but, contrary to my usual way of being which is to over think everything, I have decided to honor this year as a year of new beginnings and stick with thrive.

Thrive, according to Webster’s dictionary, means:  1. To grow vigorously, 2. To gain wealth or possessions, 3. To progress toward or realize a goal.   Hmmm, I think I like this word.  There is a part of me that feels some reluctance to accept this as my word; but again, this is a new year, a new beginning.  So, I am claiming this word, this gift from my subconscious self which is apparently not as conservative and careful as the conscious self that generally governs my thoughts and behaviors.  


One of my favorite things is walking in the woods.  This is especially exciting in the early spring.  The woods around my home in the mountains of North Georgia is the habitat of a number of spring ephemeral wild flowers.  I love coming across these flowers in the woods.  These hardy little harbingers of spring begin to bloom in March when the danger of a winter storm is still a very real possibility.  They send up their flowers in spite of this danger, in spite of  the possibility they may be nipped by frost or they may be frozen down to the ground.  They appear so fragile, but each year they return with their message of new life following the winter. 






Like these little flowers, I am choosing to step out into this new year with the intention of making a new start.  There are certainly potential obstacles and threats out there; and yet, I will continue on this new path claiming thrive as my word and with the image of these beautiful little flowers as my inspiration.

1 comment:

Susan said...

I love your new entries!!!! They carry truly beautiful messages. I hope you realize how special they are!
My word for the day is forsup!