“Your vision will become clear only when you look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.”

~ Carl Jung

Sunday, February 5, 2012

UNCAGED


Last weekend I went to a Grief Recovery workshop.   The workshop was experiential, so I was expecting to work on some of my grief issues, but was not really ready for the intensity of my grief.  I have been in a funk for most of the last week.  Last night I went downstairs to do an art journal page that had been forming in my head all day.  The image was of a bird in a cage and was titled:  I FEEL STUCK!





The finished page turned out much differently than I had planned.  Through the process of creating the page, I found the bird outside the cage and a much more hopeful message.  The creative process is an amazing thing.  If we can give ourselves over to the process, it will work it’s transformative magic on us.  If we can let it happen, it will bring us healing and help us to move toward a place of wholeness. Feeling much better now - out of the cage. 

4 comments:

It's All Connected said...

Do you think you ever completely lose grief as an active emotion or does it just become less immediate? When you are creating something you are in that moment and not another time. ~ Maureen

Dottie said...

I think you are right. Loss is a constant so grief is as well. The creative process is probably, for me, the best way to be in the present moment, not worried about the future or regretful or sad about the past. Thanks Maureen!

Monica said...

This caught my attention... you're quite right, out of the cage is much better!
Many thanks for your lovely and kind comment. I'm sorry you're experiencing troubles in your life- sending bright thoughts and prayers your way! I'm sure Art will help healing and relaxing you.
Blessings,
Monica.

Dottie said...

Thanks Monica for the thoughts and prayers. I am moving in the right direction, I just need to relax, trust this process, and stay in the present.