“Your vision will become clear only when you look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.”

~ Carl Jung

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Message from a Hummingbird


I have had another bird visitation, this time from a Rufous Hummingbird.  My sister, my husband and I spent most of the last two weeks in the North Georgia mountains.  One day last week we were sitting in our family room being lazy, surfing the internet and, pinning beautiful things on pinterest.  I looked up and saw a Rufous Hummingbird sitting on  top of our sunflower seed feeder.  I jumped up and filled the hummingbird feeder, but by the time I got it hung outside he was gone.  By the next morning the food was frozen.  I did not see him again before we had to return to Atlanta and our real world responsibilities.  I am hoping he will be back when we go up this weekend.

This visit from that little bird was special for several reasons.  One, I love hummingbirds and it is rare to see a hummingbird in North Georgia in the winter.  According to  www.gahummer.org there were 11 sightings of Rufous hummingbirds in the entire state during the winter of 2011.  The other reason this sighting was exciting for me was more personal. 

On my birthday in November my daughter suggested I draw a medicine card from a set we keep in our mountain home.  I drew the hummingbird card.  The hummingbird card reads:

“If hummingbird is your personal medicine, you love life and its joys.  Your presence brings joy to others.  You join people together in relationships which bring out the best in them.  You know instinctively where beauty abides and, near or far, you journey to your ideal.  You move comfortably within a  beautiful environment and help others taste the succulent nectar of life.  The hummingbird is a symbol for accomplishing that which seems impossible and will teach you how to find the miracle of joyful living from your own circumstances.” 


A beautiful birthday message.  The visit last week from the hummingbird reminded me of a wonderful family dinner filled with good food, love and laughter and of the message from the hummingbird card.  I hope I can live this message through this year of change and new beginnings as I continue to build a new direction for my career.  I hope that I can find new ways to bring joy to others and to help them grow in their journeys to become their very best selves.

My daughter loved the message so much she and my precious grandson Jackson gave me this  hummingbird charm.  I wear it every day and it reminds me of my gratitude for my wonderful loving family and my desire to be a loving force in a world that can sometimes be so difficult and painful.  After the hummingbird visit last week, I created this art journal page as another reminder of this little bird’s beautiful message.


4 comments:

Loretta said...

This is such an inspiring post... thanks for sharing this with us! Hugs

Dottie said...

Thanks Loretta. Hope your week is filled with joy!

Revi said...

What a sweet story! I love collage, so I'm going to follow to see your work!
-Revi

Dottie said...

Welcome and hope you enjoy the blog. Thanks!