“Your vision will become clear only when you look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.”

~ Carl Jung

Saturday, March 3, 2012

SACRED SPACE


“Your sacred space is where you can find yourself again and again.”
       ~Joseph Campbell


I am fortunate enough to have two homes, one in the city of Atlanta and a home in the north Georgia Mountains that will be our permanent residence some day in the future.  For now, we live in the city during the work week and go to the mountains on Friday evening.  I have always thought of my home in the mountains as my sacred space.  It has beautiful woods filled with birds, all kinds of woodland creatures, moss covered rocks, a babbling brook, and flowers.  It has silence.  When I am there I feel calm, peaceful and centered.  When I am there it is easy for me to open my heart to myself and to others.






As I was wrapping up this week on Friday, I looked around this home in the city and realized that it too is a sacred space for me.  Not exactly in the same way, but here in this home are the accumulated treasures of an almost forty year marriage, forty years of shared experience.    As I looked around I realized that I have surrounded myself with little things that remind me of how loved I am, how grateful I am for my family and this beautiful world in which we live.  I have surrounded myself with little things that have created a sacred space.  Here are some of those things.





Flowers from both my 
            Children's Weddings gathered into a dried Bouquet






 A Glass Vase filled with 
Dried Roses from Years of Anniversary, Birthday and Holiday Roses





A Bird’s Nest created from Twigs, Dried Hydrangeas from My Garden, Old Lace from a Family Tablecloth, Craft Store Birds and Eggs – It is, for me, an icon representing Home and Family ~ An Icon of my Sacred Space    


             
~What makes your space sacred?~

3 comments:

Melony Bradley said...

You are very lucky to have two homes in the great state of Georgia. Surrounding your space with beautiful things in your home is important.


www.mel-designs.typepad.com

Dottie said...

I am very lucky to have two homes, yes, but more importantly to have so much love in my life. I enjoy decorating my spaces and my favorite beautiful things are not the big things, but rather the little things that connect me with the people I love. Thanks!

Becky Shander said...

Yes, having a sacred space is good...bringing a sense of peace within. May this peaceful feeling radiate outward as well...shining good energy all around.