“Your vision will become clear only when you look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.”

~ Carl Jung

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Celebrating the Ordinary


This has been a week of ordinary days.  My days have been filled with routine daily tasks.   The week started with Sunday night dinner at my son’s house with all the family.  Sunday dinner together is a family tradition started shortly after my son and daughter left home.   I took my sweet two year old grandson Jack to and from daycare several times, having a wonderful time singing and dancing along with Elmo as we rode in the car.  Later after school, Jack and I blew on dandelion heads releasing the seeds to the wind.  We watched ants crawl through the grass and sang The Ants Go Marching One by One.   My daughter-in-law who is a personal trainer took me to the gym and put me through a challenging workout.  I spoke with my daughter, my sister, and several friends on the phone.  My husband and I had a date night dinner.  I completed several small tasks related to building my practice.  I cooked some meals, did some laundry, but there was nothing out of the ordinary in my week.  No major accomplishments.   No  major disappointments.  No drama. Nothing terribly exciting.



What a wonderful way to spend a week.  It reminded me how much I love the ordinary.  I love everything ordinary – blue skies, daisies and dandelions, day to day family life.   Our lives are filled with all kinds of days.  We have special events, holidays, celebrations, challenging days full of hardship and loss; but, most of our days are ordinary.    These ordinary days filled with routine daily activities involving those closest to us are so important and create the fabric of our existence.   They provide us with opportunities to strengthen our connections with those we love and opportunities to enjoy the beauty all around us that we so easily overlook.   So today I am celebrating the ordinary week that I have had and hoping for lots more ordinary days to come.


2 comments:

Becca said...

Hi Dottie, I found your blog through Pinterest. (you started following some of my boards) I love your journal pages. I'd love it if you stopped by my blog sometime. Have a creative weekend! :-)

Beverley Baird said...

Have been on a bit of a blog tour and found your blog!
Yes, I need to be reminded of the blessedness of the ordinary. Love your journal pages.