“Your vision will become clear only when you look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.”

~ Carl Jung

Monday, June 4, 2012

I AM ME and I AM OKAY




Last week I went to a used book sale at the public library in my neighborhood.  There was an older gentleman straightening the piles of books.  As he worked he was steadily talking to himself.  When he noticed me standing near by, he looked embarrassed and apologized.  He said, "I guess if I am not answering myself, I am okay."  I laughed and reassured him there was not need to apologize.  I talk to myself all the time and I do answer myself.  
I also started reading Patti Digh's book Creativity is a Verb last week.  At the end of the first chapter she asks the reader to answer this question:  I am creative because .......  As I pondered this question I thought of the gentleman from the library.  I am creative because I need an outlet for all the stuff that is bouncing around in my head.  You see, I don't just talk to myself.  I have long involved philosophical debates in my head.  I obsess and over think everything.  Sometimes I feel like my head and my heart are going to explode.  Sometimes I drive myself  a little crazy.  Art journaling and writing slow the thoughts down and give me a way to share some of what I am thinking and feeling.  My introverted, intuitive, feeling way of being sometimes makes self expression challenging.   In fact, it sometimes makes me feel a little like an alien; but, I am trying to recognize the benefits and accept that who I am is a good thing.  I like what Virginia Satir has to say about this subject in this little essay:  
              
"I am Me. In all the world, there is no one else exactly like me. Everything that comes out of me is authentically mine, because I alone chose it -- I own everything about me: my body, my feelings, my mouth, my voice, all my actions, whether they be to others or myself. I own my fantasies, my dreams, my hopes, my fears. I own my triumphs and successes, all my failures and mistakes. Because I own all of me, I can become intimately acquainted with me. By so doing, I can love me and be friendly with all my parts. I know there are aspects about myself that puzzle me, and other aspects that I do not know -- but as long as I am friendly and loving to myself, I can courageously and hopefully look for solutions to the puzzles and ways to find out more about me. However I look and sound, whatever I say and do, and whatever I think and feel at a given moment in time is authentically me. If later some parts of how I looked, sounded, thought, and felt turn out to be unfitting, I can discard that which is unfitting, keep the rest, and invent something new for that which I discarded. I can see, hear, feel, think, say, and do. I have the tools to survive, to be close to others, to be productive, and to make sense and order out of the world of people and things outside of me. I own me, and therefore, I can engineer me. I am me, and I am Okay.


   

1 comment:

Marjie Kemper said...

How beautiful! Love the lettering and that heart, especially. Thanks for the visit and nice comment on mine. I've just peeked round your blog and LOVE your style! Off to become your new follower...