“Your vision will become clear only when you look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.”

~ Carl Jung

Monday, December 31, 2012

ACCEPTANCE My Word for 2013


December 31, 2012 – the last day of the year and the eve of a new beginning.  A time to reflect. 

  I started last year in a place of loss and uncertainty.  In January I chose the word Thrive as my word for the year.  It was my hope, not my reality as the year began.  Looking back I realize that I have come a long way; and, I can claim that I am thriving both personally and professionally.  It is interesting how this change in my life has occurred little by little, day by day.  Change I really hadn’t noticed and could have easily missed.  Change for which I am grateful. 

In thinking about selecting a word for 2013, the word that keeps coming to me is acceptance.  At first it just did not seem to fit, but I could not shake it.  This weekend I spent some time playing with paint, paper and glue.  Through my creative process, I allowed this word to speak its truth to my heart. 

The first piece was a mixed media canvas. It reminds me to let go and accept things as they are.  As I was working on it, I was reminded of an experience I had many years ago.  I was sitting on a rock in the middle of a little stream in the North Georgia mountains with a journal and a pencil in my hand.  As I sat surrounded by a beautiful scene and the peaceful sound of the water, the thought that came to me was that I often find myself swimming upstream as I go through my life.   If I allow myself to let go, I can use the energy swirling around me to carry me along on my journey rather than exhausting myself fighting against my life experiences.  Perhaps this year I can relax a little and allow myself to let go and accept my own process each day.  


Later in the weekend I worked on these art journal pages.  I like to think that I usually approach others in an accepting loving manner; however, in reality with the people that matter to me the most, the people  I love the most, I sometimes find myself feeling impatient and frustrated.  I find it difficult to allow them to find their way trusting in their own process.   So again, I am challenged to let go, accept things as they are, truly accepting and unconditionally loving  these wonderful people who are the greatest gifts in my life. 


“Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don't resist them; that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.” 
 
Lao Tzu
 

4 comments:

Becky Shander said...

I can tell that you've been living in awareness. And I too have been contemplated similar thoughts...which have also made their way into my artwork. Your "acceptance" is what I've been practicing as "surrender". I'm also a huge believer in the teachings of Lao Tzu. Let it flow...

Denyse Bédard said...

WOWOW So beautiful!!!

Dottie said...

Thank you! Visited your blog and loved your work as well!

Victoria said...

These pieces are lovely! The quote says it all. I need to remember this in my everyday life!