“Your vision will become clear only when you look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.”

~ Carl Jung

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Home

I started a novel this morning as I was taking my morning walk on the treadmill.  I didn't get very far into the book.  It started with a young woman's description of her home.  I was immediately lost in my own thoughts.  First memory triggered was of a speech I had to give in front of my seventh grade English class.

I was an shy, self-conscious 13 year old.   Not helped by the fact that I had curly (sometimes down right frizzy) red hair and freckles.  Creativity was not a part of my fearful nature.  So the 3 minute speech was a dry walk through of our nice, but not very special home.

This morning as I thought of the concept of home, my mind went in another direction completely.  Not that I don't love the physical spaces I call home; I do.  But, ask me to describe my home and I will share treasured sights, sounds, smells, tastes and sensations.  The smell of coffee in the morning; the sound of laughter and, yes, sometimes tears; the comfortable feel of snuggling under a blanket with a three year old; the taste of wonderful food prepared with love, the faces of the ones I love.  Treasures.


Currently I am working with a number of folks who have had to leave their homes.  Some have become too fragile to live independently; others have lost their homes due to the economy.  I wonder what treasures of home they carry in their hearts?

I think that's why I love to put pictures into altered books and scrapbooks.    It reminds me, and comforts me somehow, to realize that the most treasured aspects of home will be with me always.

What treasures of home are you carrying in your heart?

  

3 comments:

Valerie Sjodin said...

Dottie,
You inspire me and in this post confirm a theme for a journal I just started a folder on: Home. Thank you!

Dottie said...

So glad Valerie. You are such a wonderful support to me. You always leave words of encouragement at just the time that I need them most.
Thanks
Dottie

Maureen said...

I've been planning to do a scrapbook of all the family homes. I wasn't sure how to go about it, other than use photos of the houses. Now, I'm thinking my impressions and memories from each home my parents, etc. lived in would be a great idea.